Loreto Bowbazar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite book

4 posters

Go down

Favourite book Empty Favourite book

Post  srutimallik Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Book lovers rejoice ....Here is a bookworm calling all of its kind to a bookish talk.
study

My favourite authors are Roald Dahl,Ernest Hemingway,Ruskin Bond,Agatha Christie,Jules Verne,Satyajit Ray.....endless. cherry
My favourite books are Matilda,A Farewell to Arms,A little princess,Grandfather's private zoo, almost all POIROT books,Rebecca.......another endless list. flower

srutimallik

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Favourite book Empty Re: Favourite book

Post  Seamonti Chaudhuri Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Like Sruti,I'm a bookworm too! I simply love reading books, be it story or otherwise!! study
I have a wide range fo favourite books like I love all the stories of Sherlock Holmes( my role model!),Matilda,Around The World in Eighty Days,David Copperfield, Treasure Island,Malory Towers,20,000 leagues under the Sea, Scarlet Pimpernel(wonder if anyone of you have read this book,i assure yu that you are going to love it,please do try it out!!), Hardy Boys,All the stories of The Famous Five,Five Find outers and dog...Also I love the stories written by Saratchandra Chatyopadhya, Rabindranath Tagore, Sunil Gangopadhya and Ssatyajit Ray,Ruskin Bond... lol! sunny sunny cheers
I also love the poems of Pablo Neruda, Wordsworth,Milton,and many moree....... i recently read a story named "Jara Brishtite Bhijechilo" and im practically in love with it@ I love you I love you It is really such a brilliant book.....i really cannot explain....
Seamonti Chaudhuri
Seamonti Chaudhuri

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:01 pm

uhhh..I used to think that "jara brishtite bhijechilo" wasn't for our age....is it??
And I really liked Matilda. Why don't you people try Pauolo Coelho and Georgette Heyer?? or even Thomas Hardy?
Matilda is a good book I agree. Charles Dickens is also very good. His "tale of two cities" is a must reead for everyone!
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:03 pm

ummm..this topic had been introduced in GENERAL CHAT mush earlier.
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 pm

srutimallik wrote:Book lovers rejoice ....Here is a bookworm calling all of its kind to a bookish talk.
study

My favourite authors are Roald Dahl,Ernest Hemingway,Ruskin Bond,Agatha Christie,Jules Verne,Satyajit Ray.....endless. cherry
My favourite books are Matilda,A Farewell to Arms,A little princess,Grandfather's private zoo, almost all POIROT books,Rebecca.......another endless list. flower

ooooo! another Poirot fan!! Welcome to my world!
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  srutimallik Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:39 pm

I've read Paulo Coelho's THE ALCHEMIST Georgette Heyer's ARABELLA.I agree with Sreya[quote]

srutimallik

Back to top Go down

Post  srutimallik Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 pm

study I've read Paulo Coelho's THE ALCHEMIST Georgette Heyer's ARABELLA.I agree with Sreya that jara bristite ....isn't for our reading.I've read THE TALE OF TWO CITIES......its fantastic .I wonder why we hadn't been taught its excerpt in class VIII. confused

srutimallik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 pm

It makes no sense to read an excerpt, without a proper background, I suggest reading the thing, instead of excerpts.
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamonti Chaudhuri Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:56 pm

yes Sreya,even i had previously heard that "Jara Brishtite Bhijechilo" is not for our age but one wet afternoon i saw the movie on the television and i loved it soooooooooooooo very mch that i just couldnot resist myself...so i read the book and i really loved it!!!!!! It is a very touching story and since i love rains it touched me even more.....i loved the sweet drenched backgrounds,the rustic village life,the sweet reconciliation of two long lost lovers,the deep feelings of the human soul and the lightening rapidity in which human mind can change from mystic cloudy days to dreamy afternoons.....its such an abstract feeling.... it is a world out of celluloid,something out of the natural,something different,something which is out of our mundane lives,something beautiful....
Seamonti Chaudhuri
Seamonti Chaudhuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 pm

Well aren't you the philosophic writer?? you should review films and books you know, I see you possess a good vocabulary and a cadence of weighed words when you write about things like this....we need proper connoiseurs of literature and cinematography these days...although I slightly disapprove of the fact that you saw such a mature thing at a tender age. Celluloid really speeds up our maturity!!
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ishita Sen Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Sreya Ghosh wrote:Well aren't you the philosophic writer?? you should review films and books you know, I see you possess a good vocabulary and a cadence of weighed words when you write about things like this....we need proper connoisseurs of literature and cinematography these days...although I slightly disapprove of the fact that you saw such a mature thing at a tender age. Celluloid really speeds up our maturity!!

Do you have a BAD vocabulary??This post just shows you have 1 though... Wink anyways, you know what, today is the birth anniversary of my favourite author Satyajit Ray..he was a man of great knowledge n a profound sense of literature along with an excellent humor. Did any one of you read his short stories? Feluda series is good but it's his short stories which are more intellectually appealing..(and when I say "short Stories"..I mean the original ones n not the TRANSLATED ones..I hope the person to whom the words are addressed gets it correct!!) Very Happy
Ishita Sen
Ishita Sen
Admin

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-02-05

https://myschoolrocks.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamonti Chaudhuri Fri May 02, 2008 6:55 pm

I agree Sreya but sheer temptation got the better of me.... Laughing Laughing (though no regrets really! Embarassed )and yes Ishita i've read many "short" stories of Satyajit Ray and i loved them all! They are fantastic every one of them....he really was such a multifaceted genius!!! Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers cheers And thank you evry much Sreya for your compliments and i MUST MUST say that your vocabulary is something i can only dream of.....!!!really! pale cyclops cyclops
Seamonti Chaudhuri
Seamonti Chaudhuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Ishita Sen Fri May 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Well Satyajit Ray was indeed a versatile genius..he is incomparable..a writer, artist, music director and a world famous Film director...he is all and unique. Sometimes I feel that he is better than Rabindranath Tagore.I know some of you might disapprove of it, but this is what I personally feel..it might be because I'm pretty much biased when it comes to Satyajit Ray...he used to be my idol before I knew Uncle Frank obviously.. Very Happy
Ishita Sen
Ishita Sen
Admin

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-02-05

https://myschoolrocks.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Sun May 04, 2008 1:05 am

OK Seamonti and Ishita are overdoing it when they're talking about my vocabulary. Its so evident that Seamonti has a good vocabulary ...I mean how often would you use the word "multifaceted"???? And about Ishita I won't say anything, you know it all anyways. Ok about Satyajit Ray now...HE'S GREAT, AND THOUGH HONESTLY SPEAKING, I HAVE READ MOSTLY TRANSLATIONS (including a collection of "short stories" ishi gave me) I STILL LIKE HIM A LOT, but my all-time favourite is Agatha Christie. (sorry!!). And, Ishi, I have read satyajit in the original as well, its not that difficult anyways, very simple, unlike Vidyasagar or anything like that.(read: I'm gonna kill you for I have fully comprehended your hint. I'm not kidding!). I didn't tell anyone so maybe that's why you didn't know. Know what? I think we might as well have a private conversation here, since no one even endeavours to pay a visit to this so called "popular and addictive" forum!! O and I really love Ray's films, I think he had really mastered the art of cinematography of those times, unlike some of our present indian directors...always showcasing "adaptations" of foreign films, phtewy!!! I always love watching his films even now. cheers
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Sun May 04, 2008 1:16 am

wel Seamonti, since you've already read "jara bristite.." I suggest that you read a book called "Atonement" by Ian Mcewan. Its a novel with the second world war as its backdrop. Its a beautiful novel about how a woman atones (apparently vainly) for a crime she unknowingly and unwittingly commits in her childhood, thinking it a favour for her older sibling. It does have some mature content, but since you're mature enough (considering what you've read and seen!!) I'm recommending it. Even our history teacher recommended it. There's a movie too, and it won the oscars this year (unfotunately it won for best musical score, but was nominated in the best picture category). So just try it. If rusticity appeals to your senses more, this will make the harshness of war more palatable to you. You can't after all appreciate the light if there weren't any darkness, can you?
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamonti Chaudhuri Sun May 04, 2008 7:24 pm

There goes Sreya you are being toooooooooooooo modest i must say!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Embarassed Embarassed reallly!! and yes Atonement really sounds too good...must try it out sometime during the summer hols! really
Seamonti Chaudhuri
Seamonti Chaudhuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamonti Chaudhuri Sun May 04, 2008 7:30 pm

And Ishita PLEASE FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE REMOVE YOUR DISPLAY PICTURE IT IS GETTING ON MY NERVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad pale No No
Seamonti Chaudhuri
Seamonti Chaudhuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sreya Ghosh Mon May 05, 2008 1:46 am

Seamonti don't watch the movie please..its best if you read it. (I myself can't watch mature content!) And Ishita if you want to flaunt a flag so badly, try flaunting our own flag. Seamonti thanks for bringing this to my notice!! cyclops
Sreya Ghosh
Sreya Ghosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamonti Chaudhuri Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 pm

mossstt welcome Sreya!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Seamonti Chaudhuri
Seamonti Chaudhuri